Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Finding Comfort From The Ones We Love




As mother’s we have innate desires and strong instincts to protect our children from pain. It is a built in mechanism to be protective and to meet our children’s needs from the time the baby is in the womb, to feeding our babies, changing their diapers, and doing everything we can to ensure their comfort and safety.
As mothers we are so committed to meet the needs of our children that we give up our needs, space, time and food if need be. Mothering is designed to stretch us beyond our own selfishness and our own limitations. As our children grow, we work to help our children learn to meet their own needs. We want them to become independent and self-sustaining.
As Lindsey was sick and we saw her go through radiation last fall and watched her gradually decline even further in the spring. I saw Josh, Lindsey’s husband, my husband Todd and my children as they witnessed her suffering. It was so painful to be the mother and be aware of everyone’s pain. How badly I wanted it to stop and to see my family with a different story in some other circumstance.
I remember many times questioning God and praying that he wouldn’t require us to actually go through losing her, that surely things would take a turn for the better, that at her worst points it couldn’t get any worse, and yet it did. In looking back, I was trying to express to God that I personally couldn’t stand to watch Lindsey suffer, let alone watch my whole family suffer as well. I didn’t have any power or control over any of the physical or emotional suffering. I couldn’t really fix anything or even offer any promise of comfort.
As mother’s we feel we are successful when we can offer comfort or find solutions for our children so they can be happy and comfortable. I know I was not humanly capable to offer solutions or comfort like I desperately wanted to during Lindsey’s illness. Now, as I am going through some of the grieving, I still cannot protect my children from the pain of my grieving, nor can I take away their own pain.
A couple of days after Halloween, Jessica and our two granddaughters were visiting and she and I started talking and the next thing I knew I was crying and she was listening. I was expressing my loneliness and sadness and how much I missed Lindsey Halloween night and then, Jessica, who is a mother herself, was holding me while I cried. I realized that she had grown up into the most beautiful and independent woman and that she was comforting me.
I was sharing with her, and she was reaching out to me. We were both grieving the loss of a daughter and sister. Jessica and I need each other now more than ever. Instead of me worrying about Jessica and trying to protect her from the pain of losing her sister and best friend, I was able to receive her love for me as she held me and offered her love and comfort to me in a gentle, peaceful way.
I have been trying to protect my children from my sad feelings and grief thinking that they would be better off if they saw me functioning and trying to be happy. Yet, when she put her arms around me and I allowed her to be there for me, it felt so good to have her be there as my daughter. I understood in that one moment I cannot protect her from my pain. I also realized that God does not take us out of our pain because he knows that we are capable of handling it and that it makes us stronger.
What I am coming to understand is that grieving the loss of a loved one happens over a long period of time. Healing the heart from loss is a gradual process, mostly because the body is designed to compartmentalize the pain and hold it until we are ready to let it go. We would die if we were to feel all our pain all at once. I only know one person that was able to do that and it was Christ. In our humanness we deal with grief in portions or parts while the heart heals.
Each time we release a wave of grief it allows us to let go of some of that heavy sadness and moves us closer to finding joy and happiness in our lives in present time. I truly have so many blessings and so much support and comfort being offered to me. Every time I experience the overwhelming sadness a way is provided for me to get through it and come back to joy and happiness.
There are places for a mother who has lost a child to find comfort: from God and the Atonement, from processing and from the ones we love.

I love you Jessica

No comments: