Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Notes on Abundance - from the seminar

The world points out what we don’t have; however, abundance is about accepting what we DO have. The message presented by the media is that we need certain products or a certain lifestyle in order to feel good enough. In truth, when we focus on what we have, contentment increases. Focusing on lack produces fear and scarcity-mindedness, whereas focusing on what we already have generates contentment and gratitude. Fear and scarcity move the very thing we want farther away from us. Gratitude moves what we want towards us.

At one time in my life when I was struggling financially, my focus was to ensure I had enough money to pay the bills. I had a list of all my bills on the cupboard. I thought about my bills every time I walked by and stewed and stressed about how they would all get paid. Then a friend told me that I would be more productive in paying my bills if I didn't focus on it so strongly. Over-focusing can be a good way to get things done, but in this instance it wasn't productive. She told me “what we focus on grows” and helped me see that I was focusing on the fear of not having enough money. This state of fear manifested scarcity and lack. The worry and fear about the bills was my state of mind and it kept me in a place of misery, joylessness, and depression. I thought that being committed to paying my bills in this way was a good thing and would make it happen, until I realized that bills could get paid without the suffering. I decided to shift my focus to gratitude. I acknowledged all the blessings in my life as well as how much I actually had - a roof over my head, food to eat, etc. I put my bills away and practiced trust. I finally felt calm, relaxed, and content. To my surprise everything shifted and not only did the bills still get paid, but I received more than expected. Now, instead of operating out of the belief system about money that was modeled to me, I've learned that bills can be paid with joy, there can be more than just what's needed to pay the bills, and that I can live in abundance.

Despite what the world would have you believe, if you have any money in your pocket or in a bank account, you’re classified in the top 8% of the world's wealthy. If you have food for not only today but for tomorrow also, you are classified in the top 5% of the world's wealthy. This understanding puts things in perspective and helps us focus on what we do have. What we focus on grows.

No comments: